COAL CITY FIREFIGHTERS were dispatched to 55 W. Walnut St. for a fire that started in a turtle cage. Firefighters had the fire stuck within six minutes of arriving on the scene, but the two turtles in the cage perished.
A plastic turtle cage under a heat lamp allegedly sparked a residential fire last week.
Coal City firefighters were dispatched to 55 W. Walnut St. at 8:37 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 11. The occupants of the home, who were just moving into the residence, called 911 to report the fire.
Units from the Coal City Fire Protection District were on the scene in just two minutes and the fire was struck within six minutes of the firefighters' arrival.
Nick Doerfler, a firefighter/paramedic and the department's public information officer, said the fire caused around $10,000 in damage, mainly smoke and water.
The fire was contained to the first floor room that contained the turtle cage. The two turtles in the cage perished.
Firefighters were able to save a dog and cat in the home, and no humans were injured.
Doerfler reminds residents to keep heat lamps and heaters away from combustible materials.
Assistance was provided by Wilmington and Braceville Fire Departments and Morris Ambulance that stood by at the Coal City station.